This episode kicks off a mini-series about research–this week, I share my best tips for interviewing for nonfiction articles, essays, and projects, and next episode (in two weeks), I’ll share ways to research and interview for fiction. I gathered most of these tips from my journalist friends while in grad school, where I had to conduct my very first *real* interview, and I’ve used them in countless situations, from interviewing a restaurant owner for a newspaper article to talking to a faith healer for a book manuscript. If you’ve never interviewed someone before, but are dying to get your feet wet, this is the podcast for you.
Plus! For this episode only, I made an extra-special in-depth worksheet (that even includes an email template you can fill in and send out to your interview-ees).
- Episode 8: Researching your novel
- Victoria by Daisy Goodwin
- The Boy Who Loved Too Much by Jennifer Latson
- Larry Clow
- Geraldine Brooks (is my favorite author)
How to listen:
- You can subscribe on iTunes or on Stitcher.
- You can listen to it right here in your browser by clicking the play button below!
Pssst…find all of the podcasts here!