This episode, number 5, is the second in a series called How to Get Started Writing a Novel. You can listen to the first episode in this series, Episode 4, here.
As always, I share a quick writing and reading update. Then I give you some prompts, including some meta-advice for how to *use* prompts (like, you don’t just have to write stuff down on paper with a pen).
- The Passing Bells (the first in The Passing Bells trilogy) by Phillip Rock
- Downton Abbey is a thing I have never watched
- There is no link to my fun wool/knitting related story, because it by design is FUN FUN FUN i.e. no deadlines.
- Scratch Paper Episode 4, the first in this How to Get Started Writing a Novel series
- The Storymatic is totally awesome.
- A bit more about fanfiction
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is (possibly) fanfiction about a character from Emma by Jane Austen
- Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James is fanfiction about the Twilight Novels by Stephenie Meyer.
- Half-Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls
- Here is a very tiny town in New Hampshire
- How J.K. Rowling came up with Harry Potter
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
How do you come up with ideas for novels? Where do they come from, to you? Please do share in the comments!